Area of Practice

Workers Compensation


Know Your Rights

If you’ve experienced an injury on the job, you are entitled to workers’ compensation. This system is in place to ensure that employees have the funds needed to recover from an injury or illness sustained at work.
Though most employers are required to have insurance in place to cover any potential workers’ compensation claims, these situations can quickly become complicated. At Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton, we’re here to make the process go smoothly. We’ll be with you every step to see that you receive everything you need to recover and begin again. Schedule a consultation with our team to ensure you understand your rights. From filing to receiving your compensation, we’ll be with you every step of the way.

What to Do After a Workplace Injury

  • – Seek Medical Attention for Anyone Injured
  • The first thing should always be to tend to any injured and ensure that everyone involved in the accident is okay. Getting official medical help for any sustained injuries will also give you documentation needed for a workers’ compensation claim. Keep in mind that your employers’ insurance may require that you see their chosen medical professional.

  • – Let Your Employer Know
  • Generally, employees have 180 days to inform their employer of any work-related medical concern. But it is good practice to inform your employer as soon as possible. Claims can take time—the soon you inform your employer, the sooner the process can start.

  • – Paperwork Process
  • After you report the work-related medical condition, your employer has 7 days to file a “First Report of Injury” with their insurance. Be sure to communicate with your employer to stay updated on the process and provide them with any necessary documentation, such as paperwork from your doctors’ visit.

  • – Getting a Response
  • Providers usually have around 21 days to notify you. The response will usually include either a beginning of payment, a denial to your claim, or possibly a need for further investigation of the incident.

  • – Contacting an Attorney
  • We are able to help you with any and every stage of this process. Whether you need help filing a claim or appealing your denial of a claim, we’ll work with you to ensure you receive the compensation you require.

Types of Benefits for Workers’ Compensation

  • – Medical
  • The most well know benefit—your employer or their insurance will be required to pay all medical expenses related to your injury. This would include any medical bills, prescriptions, etc. It could even cover transportation to and from doctors’ appointments and hospital stays.

  • – Vocational
  • After an injury, many are not able to return to their everyday work right away. Workers’ compensation may pay for placement programs or services to help you reach a point where you can return to work. Some states have different requirements and laws, but the state of Utah does not require employers to provide vocational rehabilitation.

  • – Death
  • Workers’ compensation can also apply to loved ones in the case of death. If someone is lost due to a work-related incident, their family members have the right to pursue benefits—such as compensation for medical, funeral, and burial expenses.

  • – Temporary Compensation
  • Temporary compensation will ensure that you are paid two-thirds of your average weekly wage
    until you are able to return to work or have returned to full health. If you are still able to work
    but are earning less, you may also be eligible to receive temporary partial benefits.

  • – Permanent Disability
  • If your injury has caused you permanent partial or total disability, you will be entitled to compensation. In the case of permanent partial impairment, you will receive disability compensation after a doctors’ evaluation. With disability cause from a work-related injury or illness that permanently prevents you from returning to work, you could receive weekly payments for the rest of your life. If this disability prevents you from performing other tasks such as education and other experience, you could be entitled to more compensation. In these cases, there are many factors to consider.

Your Legal Options

There may be several options for your case. At Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton we will work with you to identify a personalized solution for you.

  • – Administrative Claim
  • The main route for workers’ compensation is usually an administrative claim. These claims typically cover lost wages and medical expenses, sometimes they cover other things as well. For an administrative claim, you follow the same process, but you likely won’t need an attorney. However, our team can still provide additional support as you navigate through the process and ensure that you receive proper compensation.

  • – Third-Party Claim
  • When an injury is caused by someone other than a co-worker or employer, you may be able to file a third-party claim. This means that you can receive compensation for medical expenses and lost wages as well as compensation for pain and suffering. Third-party claims are civil cases that can supplement your benefits from an administrative claim. Our team will help you identify the cause of your work-related medical condition and pursue a personal injury case against any responsible parties.

Contact Us Today

Navigating through workers’ compensation claims is often more complicated than expected. The process is a lot easier when you have someone like Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton on your side.
Our team will work with you personally to ensure you get the most out of your situation. We’ll work with the timelines dictated by workers’ compensation laws so that you get your benefits in a timely manner.
Reach out today to get us on the case. We don’t charge any upfront fees! You can reach out to us online or call toll-free at (800) 898-4878 today.

Know Your Rights